Thursday, February 14, 2008

Well, I've been trying to limit my computer time because we're still trying to find the time to replace the hard drive. But I had to get on today looking for contractor law stuff so I might as well pop by and type something here...

Hmmm..

Are you doing anything for Valentines? I learned a long time ago not to put too much expectation on days being remembered by R. Because they usually aren't. Then I would be miserable and one day it came to me that I'm always most miserable on my birthday or Valentines-why? Because he never really does anything for those days. And has my being miserable changes anything? No. So, why expect anything and be miserable? Why not expect nothing and just be at least as happy as any other day? So now I never expect anything. It would completely blow me away if he did do something. He's like me in that if he feel like somethings expected he's less likely to do it anyway. We work by contraries. Oh well, if I really want chocolate, I can pick out my own box.

Now I have to go up to Starbucks because I dropped my checkbook there yesterday when I took S. up for coffee. Sometimes I just have to get that girl out for a little walking and a dose of caffeine, or else she gets a little pale and limp. All the way there she was mumbling and sighing but by the time we started home she was talking and laughing, so I guess it was an hour well spent. But I hate having to go back up there today. Grrr....

2 comments:

Marbel said...

We don't make a big deal out of valentine's day here either. But I do get a little bit of candy for the kids, and we all make cards for each other. I don't really care about the day, and of course my husband doesn't either. But, E does and we want J to be (at least) familiar with the conventions so that when he is married, he will not disappoint his wife on days such as this. He is unlikely to delight a woman who believes the ads telling her she deserves great gifts of fine jewelry, of course, but he is equally unlikely to marry one like that (so I pray).

It's the same with birthdays and Mother's Day. I have had to explicitly ask my husband to let our kids know when those days are coming up, have them make me a card
and participate in some sort of gift. Not because I want to be queen for a day, but we always make a big deal out of Daddy's birthday and Father's Day, and I don't want my kids to grow up thinking Wife/Mom should be ignored.

Mrs. Darling said...

We always make a big to-do over Valentines Day and birthdays. I love it cause in the family I grew up in nobody knew when it was anybodys birthday and Valentines Day? What was that?

Love the pic at the top!