Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I had a very important discussion with O. the other day.

O: What does paint taste like?
Me: Bad.
O: Does yellow paint taste different from green paint?
Me: They both taste bad.
O: But a different kind of bad? Or the same kind of bad.
Me: I think the same kind of bad. I don't think the color changes the taste.
O: Is the paint I paint on paper with the same kind Papa is painting the house with?
Then I explained that no, they are not the same kind. Paints are different by what is used to make them spread around. Some spread around with water, some with oil, some with other things. What makes them spread around is probably mostly what makes the way they taste, etc. By the time we arrived at church he seemed to be pretty much satisfied that he had gotten the whole scoop.

I think one of the most important things we can do is talk with our kids and take their questions seriously. Do our best to give them direct, honest answers (keeping in mind their age and ability to handle some information) and not just brush them aside. This is a way of earning their trust, so that when they do have some more serious things they may need to talk about, they won't think they will be brushed aside. This takes time. It takes paying attention. But I think it is one of the most important investments we can make.

6 comments:

Marbel said...

I love this. You are so right, but why don't more people get that? We spend so much time talking. Of course the questions get harder.

The catechism is great for this, on a different level. Our homeschool is based on talking and reading. And talking about what we've read. Etc.

Joyce said...

You probably saved O. from learning from experience, and possibly becoming very ill. Patience pays off.

Mrs. Darling said...

Today in the car Peter asked me how electricity got in the sky. I gave him my standard answer, "Thats a good question to ask Dad tonight."

Peter answers, "Mom whats wrong with you? Didnt you finish your classes at school?"

kerri @ gladoil said...

Joyce, I hope he won't be tempted to eat paint. :)

Funny Peter. Did he remember to ask later?

Roberta said...

What a sweet conversation. He's a thinker. It's so rewarding when I stop and listen to my little ones...hard sometimes though. I agree, ommunication is SO important.

LynAC said...

Happy Mother's Day!
Where are you?
Hey, email me--I need to vent!