Wednesday, June 27, 2007

OK, I lied yesterday. I did go out. I went to the bookstore. Just wanted to get that off my chest. I got oldest daughter a book because she is sick. She read it all in one afternoon. I asked her if she enjoyed it, and she said "Yeah, it was the first book I ever read that took place in modern day." Well I had to laugh at that, though I also had to point out that that wasn't true, she has read Madeleine L'Engle. But that was all I could think of. I guess we are a little historic in our reading. Seems safer that way.

She approached me a few weeks ago about graduating next year. Since then she decided she didn't want to, but it does get me to thinking. When do we call it "done"? When do I look at her and say, "OK, now you have a highschool level education."? She is way ahead of where I was in things like history and literature and music. (Not that that is saying much. I don't consider myself the gauge.) And soon she will be where I graduated in math and science. I want her to learn Quickbooks because DH wants her to take over the secretarial aspects of his business. When we started homeschooling I had all these visions of brilliant tri-lingual, harp playing and who knows what else type kids that were going to come out of our family. Well, it didn't turn out that way, and my vision has changed over the years. Now I am very happy with my sweet, godly young woman.

Anybody have any thoughts? I think ya'all are out working in the garden. :)

4 comments:

Marbel said...

OK, what was the name of the book??

No ideas on graduation.

Sounds like no one else got sick?

Roberta said...

No thoughts...well, pertaining to that. I am thinking about *Eating an elephant* as I sort and clean the basement. I think I have bitten a bit of the ear, gotta keep at it.
And, I kid you not, may be able to clothe a small country (as well as provide every person a stuffed animal)! OI!
Back to work...hope your daughter is feeling better. Sounds like a wonderful wedding.

Mrs. Darling said...

You should be proud of her. Shes a very sweet young lady. Its amazing how our dreams change over the years.

kerri @ gladoil said...

Marbel-the books (I went back to get the sequel.) are The Shadow of the Bear and Black as Night. They are modern tellings of the fairytales Snow White and Rose Red and Snow White. But they are definately for older kids. There is some of the stuff I've been avoiding in them, but S. said the author handled it well. I haven't read them so I don't know too much about the context though. S. was sick. She got it the worst of anyone. WHich is why I was trying to keep her supplied with books. Everyone seems over it now.

Roberta-I am convinced that stuffed animals have reproductive capabilities.